What is sticky toffee pudding?
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label ×
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 22g||110%|
|Total Carbohydrate 110g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 85g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet.2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.) A bowl of dark, delicious Sticky toffee pudding with its treacle, date-laden sponge, and thick toffee sauce is perhaps one of England’s most popular puddings even though it was unheard of before 1984.
- The origins of this popular dish are the cause of many arguments of who made the first one, though favor falls often at the feet of Sharrow Bay Hotel in the Lake District of North West England as the originators.
- The pudding is easy to make and can be cooked and eaten immediately.
- Or, following the instructions below, you can make it in advance and soak with the sauce for an even stickier pudding.
Traditionally, a sticky toffee pudding is made in a large square tin and served cut into squares. However, for a more restaurant-style dish, make individual puddings using the instructions after the main recipe. Whichever you decide to make the sticky toffee pudding, always serve with vanilla ice cream or a large dollop of custard sauce,
- 8 ounces (225 grams) dates, stoned, finely chopped
- 6 ounces (175 milliliters) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces (175 grams) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons/85 grams) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 5 ounces (140 grams) demerara sugar, or cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons black treacle
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 milliliters) milk
For the Sauce:
- 6 ounces (175 grams) light muscovado sugar
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons/55 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces (225 milliliters) double cream, or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F /160 C / Gas 3.
- Butter and lightly dust an 8 x 8 x 2 1/2-inch square baking tin with flour.
- Put the chopped dates into a large glass bowl, cover with boiling water, leave for 20 minutes to swell and soften. Once soft, add the vanilla extract.
- Sieve the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large baking bowl.
- In another baking bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, don’t worry about grains of sugar, they will melt during cooking.
- Little by little, add the beaten eggs, mixing really well between additions. Add the treacle and beat well.
- Using a large metal spoon carefully fold in one-third of the flour, then carefully stir in one-third of the milk. Repeat until all the flour and milk is used up.
- Add the chopped dates (including any liquid in the bowl) and stir gently. The pudding mixture will resemble a thick batter.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake in the center of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes until the sponge is raised and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
How do you make toffee pudding?
Preheat broiler. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the sauce over the pudding. Spread evenly on top. Place pudding under the broiler until the topping is bubbly, about 1 minute. Serve immediately spooned into dessert bowls. Drizzle with toffee sauce and top with a spoonful of whipped cream.
Näytä koko vastaus
How to make toffee sauce?
Directions.1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch round or square baking dish. Sift the flour and baking powder onto a sheet of waxed paper. Chop the 2 Toffee Sauce: Combine the butter, heavy cream and brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil gently over medium
Näytä koko vastaus
How to bake toffee in the oven?
Preheat oven and grease your baking dish. Bring the toffee sauce together by adding the butter, brown sugar, and molasses to a saucepan. Boil on medium and stir until sugar is melted. Lower to simmer until the sauce thickens and coats the spoon. Pour half of the toffee mixture into the greased base of the baking dish.
Näytä koko vastaus